Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Lord's Chips...and Prom Dresses

It's prom planning time again.  Slutty dresses, flashy limos, ill fitting tuxes and carnations abound.  It's also the time of year for assholes to decide that some couples are more suited to their version of the prom than others.  Same sex couples do not fit into their version of the "traditional" prom.

I'm assuming that by traditional, they also mean underage drinking and date rape; both pretty common at the prom.

I was never a girly girl and I never gave too much thought to my prom until it was nearly upon me.  I remember wishing that my ex-boyfriend would ask me to go.  Actually, I am downplaying that.  He was the only one I really wanted to go with.  I had a boyfriend and he was dating someone else, but I was beginning to realize that when I thought of my high school days in the future, his face would be the one that would come to mind first and this has proven to be true.

When I think back on it, I wish I had had the courage to break up with my (very nice but exceedingly dull) boyfriend of the time and had boldly made my case to the ex. At the time, though, that idea seemed tantamount to us each leaving someone at the altar and I didn't have the stomach for the drama.  Of course, I realize now that this is silly.  Neither one of us stayed with those prom dates for long after graduation.  I should have just gone with my heart. 
The handsome ex and me.

Anyway, back to the present day and the assholes that try and exclude people because their date is not of the opposite sex.  Can I please remind them that it is 2013?  That we legally are not allowed to discriminate against anyone because of their sexual orientation?  

I'm glad to see that most schools are onboard with this, though there are always the backward holdouts.  They're usually the same ones that wish we could go back to the 50's when everything was perfect...if you were white.

Many things have changed for the better.  I've seen lots of prom kings and queens lately that don't fit the traditional Football Captain / Cheerleading Captain model.  Plenty of schools are recognizing kids with disabilities with these honors, when in the past, they wouldn't have even gone to the prom at all.  That is progress.  When the kids recognize that times have changed, why can't the adults?



No comments:

Post a Comment